Sister Falco is a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Zambia Lusaka Mission. She will train at the South Africa MTC and arrive in Zambia on June 10th.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 18, 2014


Note: Mom's been out of town so this is coming a little late...Enjoy!!

Hey Friends and Family :)

My mission has been good so far!! I love learning and growing. I feel like on a mission you learn a lot about the Savior and you understand more about the atonement. I always knew the Gospel was true before my mission but now I feel like I understand it a lot more. I remember coming on a mission scared that I would change but now I am scared I will change back to who I was before my mission.

This week has had its up and downs. We taught a lot of lessons. We met with Anita only once because my companion got sick. But her lesson was great! We taught her about the Restoration. It was actually a very sweet experience. We watched the movie with Vincent interpreting. (It’s best to watch the movie so the people who don't speak English have a visual.) I got to hold the movie so could see the people who were watching. I loved seeing Anita watch with real intent. And I loved watching how all these people started gathering in her house to watch. It was awesome. I don’t know--super sweet experience. She didn't come to church so hopefully there is a legitimate excuse and that she will continue learning.

We met with this guy named Peter!! He speaks and reads English and is from Ntsiliza—great guy. He is super interested in the Book of Mormon and he honestly has a great desire to learn. The Elders contacted him and gave him a Book of Mormon so he had tons of questions! And he came to Church!! woot woot :)

We met this great guy named Richard! He studied in Italy. He’s very kind and very willing to learn. He says he followed American politics and he heard about the Mormons from Mitt Romney! So that’s kind of cool!! But he’s very well educated! He let us know, "I’m a stone Catholic. So if you guys try to tell me that the Catholic religion is wrong, I will defend my church." We gave him a Book of Mormon and told him to read it and will meeting with him again this week.

Love and Ken: They have been good! They answer our calls but their dad is in Blantyre so we haven't met with him yet!!

Emmette: He’s hilarious. He was a little tipsy but he was willing to meet. Funny things he said during the lesson: "Sister Falco, have you ever smoked weed?” “No, why?” “Because during the last lesson when you started laughing so hard, I thought maybe you were a little loopy."  We told him, “You’ve got to stop drinking, Emmette.”  His reply, "STOP? What? No, No, No. I can't do that. Take less? I can do that." You have an addiction Emmette.” "No I don’t. I can go a whole week without drinking alcohol." We challenged him to be sober the next time we saw him. He agreed but told us to call him the night before. We talked about Christ. This lesson was actually really really good. He told us about his anger and how much he hated everyone and everything that has every happened in his life. He says that he consistently prays to his Mom (who has passed away) and then to the "big guy upstairs." We also talked about faith. He says he doesn't have any. As we continued talking, we found out that he loves Bible movies and said, “but I can never watch when Jesus Christ was crucified.” He’s a good guy with a good heart. I’ve grown to love and really care about him. We challenged him to pray at the end of the lesson and thank our Heavenly Father for FIVE things he was grateful for. He came up with three, and said, “THAT WAS GOOD!! I did good didn't I!”  

Our goal this week was to maintain progressing investigators. We just can't seem to do it. Everyone who comes to church once stops progressing. It’s so frustrating! But you learn more and more about the Savior and the need to rely on Him. I have to remember the yoke analogy that Dad shared. (It’s so funny I used that analogy literally yesterday with Emmmette). When you rely on the Savior, you move forward and you are comforted even when people reject you or stop progressing. When you rely on the Savior you realize that you aren't alone. You feel his comfort. You can have trials and discouragements but by the end of the day you can still be happy, if you rely on the Lord. And I can honestly say that everyday by the end of the day I am happy. I truly am so happy to be serving the Lord. It’s the best decision I have ever made. I have learned so much and I hope to learn more. I love the people here in Malawi. They are the best. It’s literally the biggest privilege to serve a mission. I wish I could describe it. You don't really understand what its like to be a missionary until you are one. Missions are sweet.

Love you all…Sister Falco

No comments:

Post a Comment