Sister Falco is a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Zambia Lusaka Mission. She will train at the South Africa MTC and arrive in Zambia on June 10th.

Friday, June 6, 2014

June 5, 2014


Here’s some responses to questions I sent:
1. When's your Pday and what time of day do you write your emails? Well, this is my last Pday here soo... haha :) I’m leaving for Zambia on Tuesday.
2. How's the food in the MTC? I don't really eat... haha :)
3. Did you ever find the small "Preach My Gospel"? Yes
4. Have you been to the temple? Yes, it was really cool!
5. How many missionaries are in the South Africa MTC and are they teaching any languages in this MTC? No, they are not teaching any languages, and there are 17 total missionaries, 8 in my district.
6. What's your daily schedule? Lessons, practice teaching, lessons, practice teaching, with a sports day.
7. Do you need us to send you anything? Not in South Africa, just food :)

CARLY SENT EXCERPTS FROM HER JOURNAL:

MTC DAY 1
The MTC is a wonderful place. I love the spirit here, and the Church is true. I love what they have taught us. One thing they taught us is that investigators need to trust us as missionaries. They taught us the famous triangle. As you grow close to your Heavenly Father you will be closer to your Investigators. As your investigator grows closer to your Heavenly Father, you will as well. This can be applied to many things in your life—husband, family and your companion.

I liked a lot what we talked about when we talked about the potential of people. What does the gospel bring us? It gives us security, purpose, peace, sense of belonging and much more. And what may someone who is drinking, and doing drugs looking for? Security, belonging, and much more. Everyone is searching for what the Gospel brings us! Most have no knowledge it’s what they are looking for. They put their trust in something other than the Lord. For example, one might put their faith in drugs, when in reality all they need to do is put their faith in our Heavenly Father. One of my religion teachers told me that Satan tries to be a copycat and I believe he is except with him there is an end to this "belonging.”

Anyway the first day at the MTC has convinced me that being a missionary will not be an easy experience. It has taught me that we must focus on others. I want to be the best missionary I can be--not because of myself, but because I want to help the Savior help his children. I am so grateful for this opportunity to share the gospel and be a full time missionary. I know I am far from perfect, but I WILL give my whole heart to the Savior. I WILL accept criticism and continue to grow. I WILL pray everyday with real intent. I WILL be 100% obedient. I WILL love my companion. I WILL be 100% focused on my mission. I will continue to use the gift of repentance. I WILL work and give the BEST I can for 18 months.

My companion name is sister Namatsa (BUTALI). She is so awesome!! I met her in Uganda last summer. What a tender mercy. I love this Gospel and I know it to be true.

MTC DAY 2
We learned to be diligent in our study of the gospel. I love what it says in Alma 21: 7-10. You can RECEIVE the word of the Lord and you can RECEIVE the words of the Gospel during general conference or even church. I like what it says in this verse because it uses the words NEED and diligence. We need to study what we are taught. Listening and feeling the spirit is so awesome but with no action, we shall only receive a portion of this word."
  
MTC DAY 3 (I am just summarizing now.)
In the scriptures, prophets are commanded to cry repentance and the people often harden their hearts. I find this interesting because we have been taught as missionaries to build trust and then invite others to repent. Prophets can’t necessarily do that to a group of people. In my experience, one reason people harden their hearts is because if a stranger calls you out to repentance you will likely get VERY defensive. We are human and we have the tendency to be prideful. We learned that building trust could allow others to accept the gospel with a more humble attitude.

MC DAY 4
The missionary handbook is SO cool!! I decided to read it with my companion because she hasn’t read it yet and there are so many things to learn and so many promises. I am determined to be the best missionary I can be. The handbook has this great promise. "You will be expected to maintain the highest standards. You must strive to fulfill what the prophet says, live mission rules, follow counsel of mission president and devote ALL time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind ALL personal affairs, as you do these things the Lord will BLESS you and you will become an EFFECTIVE advocate and messenger for TRUTH.” Isn’t that everyone’s hope to be the best missionary. It continues saying more stuff and then it says obedience will show YOUR LOVE for him, earn TRUST and CONFIDENCE with nonmembers and members and qualify you for the companionship of the Holy Ghost.
God truly asks so little of us. And gives us so much!!

These AFRICAN people ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
They know the gospel SO well, not just spiritually but they understand the Book of Mormon so WELL! I am impressed by so many of them. I will share three examples of Elders I truly love.

Elder Maaka:(COMING to ZAMBIA)
He is a convert to the Church and went with the missionaries to teach BEFORE he was baptized because his family wouldn't allow him to be baptized. He is an incredible young man and he will be an example to his mission and to this world. His testimony is unreal, his knowledge of the Book of Mormon is incredible, His love for missionary work--no words can describe it. African culture is a little laid back compared to America and he works so hard for this Gospel. I am impressed and will forever look up to his happiness and positive attitude! I love that missionary!!

Elder Adjin:
Also a convert--his parents are giving him no support for his mission but he came anyway. He is a quiet guy but his testimony is beautiful and so good!!!!

Elder Nwandwe:
He has studied the scriptures so much and has many versus memorized. He quotes prophets all the time. He is AMAZING.

Most of the young men here are converts. I am surrounded by people whose testimonies remind me of Roman’s testimony. They have ALREADY given their whole heart to the Lord. I know personally I struggled with trust, ALWAYS second guessing my decisions. My whole heart was not with the Lord. Their whole heart was with the Lord from the time they knew the Gospel was true even before their mission. I am grateful for this trust I have gained in life and in the Lord because of their example. I know things will work out. Whatever is supposed to happen WILL happen.

The Church is in good hands in Africa. These Africans are amazing people. What a BLESSING to know them. The MTC has 17 missionaries total, 5 girls and 12 boys. 5 are white (2 from England, 1 from Finland)  1 Tahitian, the rest are African. 12 of the 17 are converts and 10 ARE AFRICAN!! They are the best!! Imagine being surrounded by those with the testimony of Roman and the humility and respect for this Gospel like Jeff.
  
Well love you all!!
This is long...
Probably won't get emails this long hahahah ever again!!

But I love you!! Thanks for everything
And don't worry about me. I am happy here and not homesick.

Love,

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment